Friday, May 13, 2016

Time Management 1.1.1


1. To-do Lists: Every night I make my to-do list for the next day.  The list begins with the most important things I need to get done that day, while the end of the list are hopeful items I can get to.  I write everything down on the list including professional items, school assignments when I was completing my master's degree, and personal things to get accomplished that day.  I find that this list really helps me stay focused and be productive throughout my day.
2. Calendar: While this closely relates to my to-do list, it also includes events and meetings I have coming up.  I use the calendar on my email that is also linked to my phone.  This means that whether I am at my computer working, or out and about with my phone, I will be reminded of what I have coming up.  This helps me prioritize my time to get the most accomplished during the day.
3.  Fill down time: While I think down time is important and essential to a healthy life, I try to use my time as efficiently as possible.  This means that if I notice I have something on my to-do list that takes about 5 minutes, I am not going to waste the extra 5 minutes during my planning doing nothing.  Instead, I use that extra little time to get another task crossed off my list.
4.  Filing: Since I began my teaching career, filing has saved me so much time.  While it technically takes some time in the beginning, it can be a life saver throughout the year.  I have a filing system at school that contains all of my students tests and quizzes in alphabetical order.  I have them for reference during parent-teacher conferences, and I can also give them to students to help review concepts before the End of Course exam.  I keep all of my units in separate binders that include keys to the assignments and extra copies in case a students loses their sheet.  This has saved me from having to make so many copies during a school day when students are working on make up assignments.
5.  Collaboration and Flexibility:  I think a great way to have time management is to work together with your peers.  I have helped other teachers during my "down" time, and they have helped me when I have needed some extra hands.  It is important to realize that working with others can make our job as teachers so much better and more enjoyable.  Also, be flexible with yourself.  If you can't get to EVERY item on your to-do list everyday, don't beat yourself up.  Look at what all you accomplished that day and prepare for the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment